The Southern Sports Academy (SSA) is excited to announce that in partnership with Hockey NSW – the Academy will again offer a Hockey Program to underpin the Hockey NSW Athlete Acceleration Program (AAP) in 2019-2020.
The SSA program will support athletes progress through the athlete pathway and be given the support they need to progress to the next level.
The Southern Sports Academy hockey program will develop and support Hockey players between the age of 16 and 18 years of age.
The purpose of the hockey program is to:
- Provide an environment for the athletes to develop and progress on the pathway in their home location
- Give access to quality services and programs as they progress through the Hockey Pathway
- Prepare athletes for the 2020 Hockey season
- Provide a coach education program for Regional Academy coaches, with the support of Hockey NSW Coaching Network
Chief Executive Officer – Mark Calverley stated – ‘After an absence of five years – a Hockey program will again be delivered to our outstanding young hockey players throughout the Southern region – from Wagga Wagga ,Griffith, Young through to Albury, providing sports specific skills development and physical preparation as well as an excellent holistic sports education program, right here in our region”
Wagga Hockey Association President commented “ This is a fantastic opportunity for our talented players who will benefit greatly from this specific and targeted sports development. Wagga hockey along with the surrounding areas, welcome and are very excited about the inclusion of Hockey back into the Southern sports Academy after a long break.”
- The new program will take place from October 2019 until the Regional Academy games in Newcastle on April 3-5.