Squad to be selected at upcoming trials (see nominations page)
The Southern Sports Academy’s AFL Girls’ Program provides development opportunities for talented young, female AFL players in the Southern NSW region. In partnership with the AFL (NSW/ACT) this development program provides opportunities for talented young female players in the areas of technical skill, education and personal development.
The Program will comprise of technical, athlete education, sports science and fitness elements for scholarship holders. A maximum of 40 athletes aged 15-18 years will be selected to participate in the Program.
2019 program trial nominations are now open.
To be eligible for the Academy AFL Girls’ Program, athletes must be:
- Aged 15-18 years of age;
- Committed to progressing to higher representation within the sport of AFL;
- Currently residing within the SSA regional catchment.
An athlete levy will apply to athletes selected into the program and this will be advised at the time of selection.
- Specialised coaching session with SSA and coaching staff
- Program clothing apparel (ordered separately online)
- Induction and Leadership Camp (Friday 23rd– Saturday 24th November – Borambola)
- Muscular Skeletal Screening and Athletic Development programming
- U16’s – Your Local Club Academy Games – Hunter (travel and Accommodation)
- U18’s – Opportunity to attend AFL State Selection Camp/Trial (further details to come)
- Academy Tri-Series (Borambola- overnight)
- Professional development consultation sessions
- Gym membership (dependant on partnerships within your local town). Information to follow.
- Preferred rate on consultation services provided by Active Physiotherapy
- Privileged pricing on Puma online store purchases
- Annual presentation evening – October 2019, (sit down dinner)
Athletes who are invited into the 2019 program will incur an athlete levy of $350* which includes skills coaching, AFL football, athlete education, leadership and induction camp, tri-series camp and athletic development programming (gym membership)
Athletes attending Your Local Clubs Academy Games will incur a $300 levy which covers all aspects of travel/accommodation/meals and games fees.
*SSA AFLW athletes are eligible for the NSW Government Active Kids $100 voucher to contribute to the above levy.
SSA apparel is ordered separately for first time athletes.
*Scholarships are not in the form of a monetary sum but enable the athlete to participate in Academy development programs at a greatly reduced rate.